Regional Communications Specialist
Regional Communications Specialist
Location: Charleston, South Carolina, US
Reporting to: External Communications Manager
SHL Medical is the world-leading solution provider in the design, development, and manufacturing of advanced drug delivery systems with more than 5000 employees worldwide. Our customers include top pharmaceutical and biotech companies from around the globe that require innovative devices such as auto-injectors or pen injectors to effectively deliver their drugs. Headquartered in Switzerland since late 2018, with sites in Sweden, Taiwan, and the United States.
As a Specialist in Regional Communications, you are responsible for internal and external communications, public relations, and internal/external events at SHL within your specified region. You will be building and maintaining trusted relationships with local media representatives, government bodies, and community leaders on behalf of the company. You will create and nurture a positive public image and reputation of SHL and represent our interests through interactions with key stakeholders. You are responsible for developing and implementing effective internal communication assets for your location that are both clear and engaging. Furthermore, you will support the local managing director by participating in events. You will plan and organize internal and external commercial events and will contribute to creating an overview of all local events for alignment with global events.
Media and Public Relations: Manage local media relations by monitoring and proactively reaching out to regional media. Proactively shape the media and public relations strategy for your region. Coordinate media requests and external communication, e.g. for the website, or press releases on a regional level. Shape and nurture a positive public image, enhance reputation, and foster mutually beneficial relationships by engaging with various stakeholders.
Executive Management Communication: Develop communications for SHL’s US senior management, including writing announcements, designing speeches, and preparing presentation material. Coordinate internal communications events such as town hall meetings by deciding on speakers, defining the topics, selecting the venue, etc. internal communications events such as town hall meetings by deciding on speakers, defining the topics, selecting the venue, etc.
Internal Communication: Produce internal communication, such as creating and uploading US announcements for our e.g. our Intranet and digital signage displays. You will act as a sparring partner for the US senior management and play a role in management, change, and crisis communication.
Change Communication: Create communication plans for change initiatives and collaborate with change initiative teams to define how to convey a message in the most effective way. Support and challenge change initiative teams in refining their communication content.
Crisis Communication: Further develop our crisis communication manual and participate in regular crisis simulation events. Collaborate with PR and external communication team to align internal and external crisis approach.
Governmental Affairs: Establish and maintain positive relationships with government entities and navigate the complex landscape of public policy and regulations. Manage and represent the organization’s interests through interactions with government bodies, policymakers, and regulatory authorities, lobbying for favorable policies or regulatory changes.
Event Participation Support: Support the Managing Director, North America with participating in local events (e.g., trade fairs and exhibitions, conferences and congresses, technology and innovation summits). Prepare and brief the managing director, decide on topics to address and create speeches, evaluate participant list and identify key stakeholders, etc. Ensure effective presentation of SHL, which contributes to building brand awareness and company reputation.
Event Strategy: Support Global Events team to identify which commercial and non-commercial events SHL should attend and/or host. Support compiling an effective portfolio of events and creating a coherent narrative around it. Generate an overview of local events and regularly report. Furthermore, in collaboration with Global Events, you are responsible to initiate, develop, and manage external-facing SHL events for your region.
Event Organization: Secure efficient execution of regional event participation and regional event hosting. In coordination with the global events team, manage activities pre, during, and post events, lead preparation, guide execution, and conduct after-event analysis (e.g., report on media outreach). Support the global events team to develop and implement standardization of processes, governance, tools, and systems across events to improve effectiveness and resource efficiency of all stakeholders involved.
Relationship Building: Build a relevant network and proactively reach out to important external stakeholders (e.g., media, industry associations, chambers of commerce, think tanks). Participate in local events (e.g., visits at the city hall) and meet with dedicated people (e.g., local media representatives, community leaders and influencers, local government representatives) to build relationships on behalf of the company.
Cross-country / Cross-Functional Collaboration: Proactively and regularly align with SHL responsibilities for global events. Contribute to creating an overview of local events to make sure these are aligned with global events. Collaborate with other commercial teams (e.g., Internal Communication for crisis management, Brand & Channel Management for communication guidelines) to create a coherent and positive external appearance of SHL.
Skills and Qualification
- Experience: 2-5 years of experience working in public relations, external communications, corporate communications, or a related field.
- Industry knowledge: Experience working in or with B2B industries that have complex and technical products preferred. Preferably experienced in the pharmaceutical, biotech, medtech, and / or drug delivery device industry.
- Relationship building: Outgoing and positive demeanor, proactive in approaching people. Ability to quickly build trusted relationships with people coming from different backgrounds.
- Stakeholder management: Network of relevant stakeholders in media, industry associations, chambers of commerce, government bodies, etc., or the ability to build one. Aptitude to present the company and our mission and values to external audiences in a professional, positive, and authentic way.
- Event management: Experience with preparing and attending commercial as well as non-commercial events. Understanding of how to successfully represent a global medtech company at such events on a local level.
- Local roots: Deep understanding of the local community, its culture, values, customs, and the way things are typically handled within that specific geographic area is strongly preferred.
- Language: Fluent in written and spoken English. Other languages are considered an advantage.
- Competitive compensation package
- Modern working environment with state-of-the-art facilities and technologies
- Challenging assignments in a fast growing and innovative industry
- Position in a dynamic, international team of highly skilled professionals
- Various opportunities for personal and professional development within a global organization.
Please note: For this position, we do not consider applications from recruitment agencies.