MUSCP-Advanced Practice Provider (APP- NP/PA) - NSICU- Department of Neurosurgery
Medical University of South Carolina
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Advanced Practice Providers
- Nursing, Advanced Practice Providers, & Therapists
- Full Time
Job Description SummaryEvaluating and managing inpatients on the Neurological Surgery Service. The successful applicant will be an Advanced Practice Provider interested in working full-time in the care of on the Neurological Surgery Service. The APP will join a busy Neuroscience ICU Division that includes 5 Neuro-intensivists and 9 Advanced Practice Providers with plans for further expansion.
EntityUniversity Medical Associates (UMA) Only Employees and Financials
Cost CenterCC000986 COM NSGY General CC
Pay Rate TypeSalary
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
Evaluating and managing inpatients on the Neurological Surgery Service. The successful applicant will be an Advanced Practice Provider interested in working full-time in the care of on the Neurological Surgery Service. The APP will join a busy Neuroscience ICU Division that includes 5 Neuro-intensivists and 9 Advanced Practice Providers with plans for further expansion.
Provides direct care to patients through the following activities:
· Takes comprehensive history and performs physical examinations
· Evaluates and treats on the basis of history, physical examination, radiological, laboratory, and other diagnostic test results pursuant to the practice agreement or scope of practice guideline
· Performs the following therapeutic procedures in accordance with procedural privileges, skill and proficiency as approved by the Clinical Division Chief. The Nurse Practitioner will assist/perform the following, but NOT limited to:
o Lumbar Puncture
o Central Venous line placement
o Pulmonary Artery Catheterization
o Arterial line placement
o Endotracheal Intubation
o Chest Tube placement
o perform suturing/stapling, and removal of catheters/tubes/drains as needed.
· Initiates referrals to other health care provides, and/or consults with the attending physician or the collaborating physician
· Potential to first assist in the operating room
· Documents and bills for direct care provided
· Utilizes current research and evidence-based decision-making in all clinical practice
· Performs and participates in quality/performance improvement activities and clinical research
· Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization
· Demonstrates responsibility for professional practice through active participation in professional organizations and continuing education
· Potential to precept students at MUSC enrolled as an advanced practice provider student; and facilitates the learning of other new team members
· APRN or PA must maintain licenses, certifications, CNEs/CMEs, etc. as required by applicable policies and state law
Fair Labor Standards Act Status: Salaried/ Exempt
Hours per week: Varies with scheduled shifts
Scheduled Work Hours/Shift: (13) 13 hour shifts in a 4-week block which includes nights, weekends and holiday coverage
Patient Population Focus Neuroscience Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Patient Population Age Range 13 years-death
Required Minimum Training and Experience Training Completion of an accredited Physician Assistant program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as a Physician Assistant or completion of an accredited Nurse Practitioner Program and currently licensed or eligible for licensure as an APRN as noted below.
· Physician Assistant
· APRN License Type/Certification:
o AGPNP/ANP (Adult Gerontology Primary Care NP or Adult NP): Adult pts (13 years to death), stable chronic disease state management or primary care setting.
o FNP (Family NP): (birth to death) Stable chronic disease state management, primary care across the lifespan.
Preferred Training and Experience
Training: Physician Assistant or if APRN License Type/Certification: at least 1 year of Neurosurgical care as a NP/PA-C experience is preferred.
· Physician Assistant
· APRN License Type/Certification
o AGACNP/ACNP (Adult Gerontology Acute Care NP/Acute Care Nurse Practitioner): Adult pts (13 years to death), acutely ill or injured, potentially unstable, or technologically dependent (vents, drips, monitors, etc.)
Degree of Supervision Advanced Practice Registered Nurse or Physician Assistant will be assigned a Primary Supervising/Collaborating Physician employed by MUSC and will report directly to this physician.
Required Licensure, Certifications, Registrations
All certifications must be current and complete prior to start date: Basic Life Support (BLS). Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) DHEC and DEA license applications must be started prior to first day.
Continuous requirements are to perform job functions while standing, walking and sitting. Ability to bend at the waist, kneel, climb stairs, reach in all directions, fully use both hands and legs, possess good finger dexterity, perform repetitive motions with hands/wrists/elbows and shoulders, reach in all directions. Ability to be qualified physically for respirator use, initially and as required. Maintain 20/40 vision corrected, see and recognize objects close at hand and at a distance, work in a latex safe environment and work indoors. Frequently lift, lower, push and pull and/or carry objects weighing 50 lbs (+/-) unassisted, exert up to 50 lbs of force, lift from 36" to overhead 25 lbs. Infrequently work in dusty areas and confined/cramped spaces.
Additional Job Description
If you like working with energetic enthusiastic individuals, you will enjoy your career with us!
The Medical University of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MUSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, age, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state laws and/or federal regulations. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment based upon applicable qualifications, merit and business need.
Medical University of South Carolina participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees