System Manager, Professional Development and Education
Medical University of South Carolina
- Charleston, South Carolina
- Clinical & Research Support Services
- Full Time
Job Description SummaryPosition Description:
1. Purpose: The Pharmacy Manager promotes and advocates for professional staff development programs and curricula that support the needs of the clinical learner and the organization, beginning with newly hired clinical employee and continuing on through the expert clinician. The Pharmacy manager reports directly to the System Director of Medication use and Standards, Medication Safety and Compliance. Responsibilities include modeling the application of evidence based practice in the scholarship of teaching and learning; providing direction and support through strategic planning to meet the employee's educational needs identified through structural needs assessments, regulatory agency requirements, quality outcomes data and leadership direction. Serves as a role model and expert for clinical educators and advocates for their continued growth and professional development.
a. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES (Include physical and mental demands of the position-attach demands checklist if necessary:
i. Doctor of Pharmacy degree and completion of a pharmacy residency program or equivalent experience.
ii. Minimum of 5 years
b. LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS (If applicable to position):
i. SC Pharmacist License (or eligible for SC Pharmacist License)
ii. Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification: Must be BLS Certified within three months of hire date and maintain certification throughout employment.
EntityMedical University Hospital Authority (MUHA)
Cost CenterCC004415 SYS - ICCE - Pharmacy
Pay Rate TypeSalary
Scheduled Weekly Hours40
- Serves as the liaison between each pharmacy, NPDs and the Pharmacy ICCE Leadership team.
- Enforces departmental policies and procedures and ensures compliance with pertinent state and federal laws and regulations.
- Recruits, hires, coordinates training, timely evaluates, promotes development and disciplines staff. Makes effective recommendation for promotion, demotion, and termination. Responds to employee grievances according to established grievance procedures
- Ensures staff members are trained and able to demonstrate the knowledge and skill necessary to provide the services required
- Develops, evaluates and revises departmental policies and procedures when required.
- Ensures satisfactory relationships with other departments.
- Facilitates solutions to problems and resolves complaints regarding departmental services and activities.
- Conducts regular staff meetings and routinely meets individually with staff to review performance, solve problems, promote efficiency, and disseminate information from other meetings or departments
- Coordinates staff schedules and daily work schedules of assigned personnel. Responsible for payroll system for assigned subordinates.
- Sets example for other pharmacists and technicians in work quality, efficiency, productivity, and personal conduct standards.
- Participates on departmental and medical center committees.
In collaboration with pharmacy professional development staff, pharmacy leadership and other support services (e.g. HR, NPD)
- Develop an on-boarding process
- Develop, regularly assess and revise an orientation Standard of Work and program for pharmacy team members
- Manage, facilitate and conduct orientation for pharmacy team members
- Engage team members to elicit feedback on the orientation process and identify opportunities for adjustment to the program
In collaboration with pharmacy professional develop staff:
- Identify and implement best practice methods for competency management
- Develop new competency material in coordination with subject matter experts using evidence based criteria, as needs arise
- Maintain competency material and update as needed
- Evaluate competency material for successful completion and/or information retention and adjust as necessary
- Partner with department leaders and administration to ensure competencies are completed
- Partner with department leaders and administration on a process to provide evidence of competency management for accreditation visits
- Assess practice gaps in pharmacy activities
- Identify learning needs
- Utilize adult learning principles, flex education programs and multimodal formats, to partner with content experts to provide needed education
- Develop and support continuing education opportunities for the department
- Precepts pharmacy and pharmacy technician students and/or residents during rotations
- Routinely meet with pharmacy team members to assess education and competency needs
- Suggest opportunities for professional development for team members, including certification opportunities
- Partner with team members to develop and grow mentors to partner with new hires
- Routinely work side-by-side with front-line pharmacy team members to observe, coach and identify needs.
- Partner with other medical professionals (e.g. physicians, nurses, respiratory therapists, etc) to identify education needs regarding medications and medication safety
- Partner with other education specialists to identify beneficial partnerships (e.g. College of Pharmacy, Technician Training programs, etc)
- Work with medication safety team members, staff, and leadership to identify trends in safety concerns to tailor educational needs
- Actively participates in process improvement and quality related initiatives within the department and organization, including support through educational material development in collaborate with subject matter experts.
Additional Job DescriptionEducation: Bachelor's Degree or Equivalent Work Experience: 8 years progressive work experience and 3 years management experience
If you like working with energetic enthusiastic individuals, you will enjoy your career with us!
The Medical University of South Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer. MUSC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, age, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, protected veteran status, family or parental status, or any other status protected by state laws and/or federal regulations. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment based upon applicable qualifications, merit and business need.
Medical University of South Carolina participates in the federal E-Verify program to confirm the identity and employment authorization of all newly hired employees. For further information about the E-Verify program, please click here: http://www.uscis.gov/e-verify/employees