Principal Scientist - Energy Storage
Job Family Group:Sales and Business Development
Are you ready to do something remarkable? Ready to collaborate with an incredible team to solve problems that improve people’s lives? Meet Ingevity.
At Ingevity, we develop innovations that purify, protect and enhance the world around us. Our products enable oil to flow better, crops to grow fuller, roads to last longer and ensure that the air we all breathe is cleaner.
Our people come from all different backgrounds and help reimagine new possibilities daily. We understand there is no challenge too big and no contribution too small. We seek out new ideas for tackling complex problems and celebrate achieving the improbable. We value each person’s unique talents and synergize them to create meaningful impact and sustainable solutions for our customers and our world.
Bold. Energetic. Ingenious. Genuine. If these qualities describe you, we’d love for you to join Ingevity!
We are currently seeking a creative, hands-on Scientist to help our Performance Materials technical team advance new opportunities and bring new ideas to a decision by working closely with the business development and innovation teams. Collaboration is required with internal and external resources and stakeholders. Your curiosity and motivation coupled with willingness to explore and scout new activities will generate new product ideas and opportunities!
You will join an up-beat, collaborative and fun team, helping us further develop exciting business opportunities in the growing energy storage markets. This is a new position and the person who steps into this role will collaborate with some of the finest technical and commercial development specialists in the carbon materials arena today. In this new position, you will play a lead role in defining and developing new potential technologies and products for our Performance Materials business. There’s a lot to get excited about in our business today; we’re looking for someone who shares our enthusiasm and can join us in delivering it to our customers.
How you will impact Ingevity:
- Plans, designs, and conducts critical experiments, manage, and drive technical projects, individual and collaborative experimentation work, identify the key performance criteria with high potential for the technology, provide state-of-the-art reviews on materials, applications, and markets.
- Works effectively with innovation, product/process development, quality and business development teams to provide data to answer customer and business development questions. Assists with identifying new equipment and development of new test methods. Build and manage a network of contacts.
- Responsible for designing and managing battery/energy storage laboratory and assigned technical projects. This includes coordinating experiments and tests, application evaluations. Supplemented by market data from business development team, individual will help drive projects to a decision point.
What you need to succeed:
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemistry, or Chemical Engineering field and a minimum 10 years of experience in lithium-ion batteries, sodium-ion batteries, or materials development for energy storage are required.
- Conduct experimental work methodically with ability to resolve issues quickly to maintain timelines.
- Love for hands-on work in a laboratory with experience in pouch and coin cell fabrication and electrochemistry testing.
- Experience with managing multiple technical projects and connecting material properties to application test results and product performance.
- Ability to work autonomously while also working effectively in a team environment.
- Strength with both oral and written communication is a must as your success will depend upon your capacity for building personal connections and for conveying knowledge through monthly reports, technical memos and powerpoint presentations.
- Flexibility in work assignments to accommodate projects and groups.
- Resiliency and temperament to quickly change project direction or urgency per market or technical information.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically or internationally, 10 – 25%
- This position is eligible for relocation assistance
- This position is not eligible for employment sponsorship. The successful candidate must not now, or in the future, require sponsorship to work in the US.
Ingevity is a company made up of extraordinary people of every race, religion and background, all worthy of the same dignity. Our differences are one of our great strengths. Join us in building a culture of increasing diversity and respect – a culture where everyone belongs.
Ingevity is an Equal Opportunity Employer, Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled.
Recruiting Agencies: Ingevity does not accept unsolicited resumes and therefore, will not be responsible for any fees associated with unsolicited resumes.