Senior Accounting Technician
The purpose of the class is to perform a variety of advanced and complex clerical work in the preparation and maintenance of fiscal and other department records, to perform a variety of other accounting and clerical tasks as assigned, and to provide professional and courteous customer service. The class is given a general outline of work to be performed and is free to develop work methods and sequences; work is reviewed periodically by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Performs advanced and complex accounting duties for the department.
• Receives and processes business license applications and hospitality tax returns; reviews applications and returns for completeness and accuracy; prepares daily and monthly reports of activities.
• Collects, receives and deposits various monies, which may include County taxes and fees.
• Reviews and posts payments to appropriate accounts; verifies account balances.
• Assists taxpayers, receives and responds to a variety of inquiries and provides information or refers inquiries to appropriate personnel.
• Completes daily balance sheets. Maintains and balances cash drawer.
• Performs data entry duties; maintains and updates computerized business license and hospitality tax files.
• Maintains vendor records.
• Verifies accuracy of information submitted by contractors.
• Assists in managing the use and maintenance of the department's computer systems and software.
• Audits Federal Tax supporting schedules with business license files and hospitality tax returns.
• Gathers and analyzes data and prepares a variety of daily, monthly and special reports.
• Processes mail for the department.
• Receives and responds to inquiries, concerns, complaints and requests for assistance in areas of responsibility.
• Processes, copies, indexes, files, transmits and/or maintains various financial, legal and/or administrative documents.
• Performs general clerical duties as required, including but not limited to typing reports and correspondence, copying and filing documents, entering and retrieving computer data, sending and receiving faxes, processing mail, etc.
• Assists co-workers with clerical duties as necessary.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED supplemented by education in accounting, bookkeeping, secretarial science or a closely related field.
Requires at least five (5) years of related work experience.