OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE SUPERINTENDENT
The purpose of the class is to plan, direct and supervise the overall daily operations in the maintenance and repair or construction of the water and sewer infrastructure including pump stations; and to perform other work as required. The class works within a general outline of work to be performed and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
- ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Directs the day-to-day operation of the water, wastewater crews and pump station crews; assigns work to the various crews; monitors the progress of each work assignment daily; establishes priorities to deal with emergencies and unanticipated needs.
• Assists the Operations and Maintenance Manager in hiring, training, disciplining and evaluating employees.
• Assists Engineering department with design of wastewater collection and water distribution systems.
• Supervises assigned staff. Supervisory duties include instructing; assigning, reviewing and planning work of others; maintaining standards; coordinating activities; selecting new employees; acting on employee problems; recommending employee discipline; and recommending discharge as appropriate.
• Reviews the work of subordinates for completeness and accuracy; evaluates and makes recommendations as appropriate; and offers advice and assistance as needed
• Supervises the installation of water and sewer taps, large meter taps and pits; the repair and replacement of sewer and water lines, parts and related facilities; and the testing of water and sewer lines for leakage.
• Ensures crew leaders and members perform all work in compliance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations, and standards of quality and safety.
• Oversees and assist in the installation, testing, maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing of electrical wiring, fixtures, control devices and equipment.
• Oversees and assists in the installation, maintenance and operation of the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) operating system.
• Oversees the preventive maintenance and operations of the wastewater pumping stations.
• Receives and responds to inquiries, complaints and requests for assistance from customers and the general public regarding areas of responsibility.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
- Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED supplemented by training in water, wastewater and storm water maintenance.
Requires at least six (6) years of work related experience.One year of supervisor training preferred.
Must possess a valid South Carolina driver's license with a Class A or equivalent endorsement.
Electrical certification preferred.