Plans Examiner (REANNOUNCED)
Previous applicants must reapply to receive consideration.
The purpose of the class is to review construction plans and specifications for compliance with applicable building and related codes and ordinances, to provide technical interpretation of codes and regulations as needed, to prepare and maintain all required documentation, and to perform related work as required. The class works within a general outline of work to be performed and develops work methods and sequences under general supervision.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this class. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work the class, as necessary.
• Reviews construction and renovation plans and specifications for compliance with applicable building and related codes and ordinances.
• Prepares plan review reports; prepares and issues notices of correction and stop work orders, as necessary.
• Assist customers in completing permit applications; assists in processing applications; researches property records to verify accuracy of applications.
• Explains, interprets, and provides guidance regarding applicable codes and compliance requirements to contractors, engineers, architects, developers, surveyors, property owners and others.
• Enforces local building codes, life safety codes and structural standards.
• Maintains a variety of logs and records related to plan review activities.
• Receives and responds to public inquiries, concerns and complaints regarding assigned cases and general department procedures.
• Performs general clerical work as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering, and retrieving computer data, sending, and receiving faxes, copying and filing documents, answering the telephone, etc.
• Attends training, meetings, seminars, etc., as required to enhance job knowledge and skills.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
All County employees are considered public servants for the citizens of Dorchester County. When requested before, during, or after an emergency event, County employees are expected to work and serve the public in coping with the emergency.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree in building construction, construction inspection or a closely related field preferred but not required.
Six months of work experience required.
Must possess a valid state driver’s license.
Must possess state certification as a Plans Examiner or obtain within one year of hire into position.