BRANCH MANAGER - ST. GEORGE
This position will be located at the St. George Library location.
The purpose of the class is to manage and supervise daily functions of the County branch library, ensuring safe, effective, and efficient operations, and to perform related professional, supervisory and administrative work as required. This class works within broad policy and organizational guidelines and does independent planning and implementation, reporting progress of major activities through periodic conferences and meetings.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
• Supervises professional librarians and oversees supervision of para-professional branch staff; supervisory duties include but are not limited to scheduling, instructing, planning, assigning work, and reviewing work; maintaining standards; coordinating activities; working with Library Administration to select new employees; allocating personnel; documenting/acting on employee problems, and recommending employee discipline and discharge as appropriate.
• Coordinates the daily operations of the assigned library branch.
• Selects diverse materials based on review sources and maintains familiarity with publishing trends.
• Manages funds for materials and programming.
• Plans, coordinates and implements branch activities and programs; in conjunction with the Director and branch managers.
• Oversees branch library collection development; works with other staff to select library materials in all formats.
• Provides reader advisory services to patrons; answers reference questions.
• Assists patrons in using various resources and equipment, including the library web page, and all applicable technology.
• Interprets library policies and procedures for the public.
• Prepares and submits public relations materials for branch programs and activities to public relations coordinator.
• Coordinates volunteer services and activities and assists in training.
• Serves as branch liaison to the local Friends of the Library organization and attends meetings.
• Trains and directs staff in the performance of circulation, reference and other library services.
• Evaluates branch library operations and recommends policy or procedural changes as necessary to maintain or enhance effectiveness and efficiency.
• Coordinates monthly staff meetings and attends necessary management meetings.
• Handles public requests for assistance and complaints regarding branch library programs and services.
• Reports directly to Executive Director and keeps Director informed of all departmental issues.
• Assists subordinates with duties as required.
• Assists in developing strategic goals and objectives for the County library system; participates in the development and implementation of Library policies, procedures, and initiatives.
• Coordinates branch library activities with other libraries, local schools, community and special-interest organizations, government agencies, etc., as appropriate.
• Assists Director in developing and administering grants to support Library programs and projects.
• Processes department payroll timesheets.
• Oversees the maintenance of the branch library facility and equipment; reports issues as needed.
• Maintains accurate, up-to-date branch library records.
• Prepares various reports as required.
• Reads professional literature and technical manuals; writes manuals and complex reports as necessary.
• Speaks to public and private groups as required.
• Performs general administrative/ clerical work as required, including but not limited to preparing reports and correspondence, entering, and retrieving computer data, copying, and filing document, answering the telephone, etc.
• Attends trainings, meetings, workshops, conferences, etc., as necessary to maintain job knowledge and skills.
• Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university.
Minimum of four (4) years library experience.
Minimum of one (1) year of supervisory experience.
Valid SC Driver’s license.
Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
Must possess Professional Librarian certification from the SC State Library.