TRANSPORT OFFICER (PART TIME)
The purpose of the class is to provide for the safety of staff and inmates and the security of the detention facility; to supervise inmate transport activities; and to perform related corrections and law enforcement work as assigned. This class works according to some procedures but decides how or when to do things; work is reviewed regularly by supervisor.
- Secures and transports pre-trial detainees and inmates to court, hospital, dentist and medical appointments.
- Secures and transports pre-trial detainees from one facility to another.
- Provides security and sits with pre-trial detainees or inmates in hospital or medical situations.
- Completes and maintains required paperwork.
- Communicates with law enforcement personnel, probation and parole officers, court personnel, medical care practitioners and others as required.
- Rotates on-call duty for emergency responses.
- Attends periodic training, seminars, meetings, etc., to keep abreast of current detention, law enforcement and investigative trends, technology and legislation; maintains required physical fitness per department and required level of proficiency in the use of firearms.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Requires a high school diploma or GED equivalent supplemented by the completion of required law enforcement training and coursework.
- Additional Requirements
Special Certifications and Licenses
Must possess and maintain certification from the S. C. Criminal Justice Academy
Must possess a valid state driver's license.
May require additional professional or technical certification(s) as deemed necessary by the Sheriff.
Must meet other requirements as set forth in applicable South Carolina statutes and regulations.
Work is performed part of the time working in an environment where errors on this job can lead to significant physical or mental consequences for self or others.
Dorchester County has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position; typical work hours are 12-hour shifts. The Detention Center operates 24 hours per day; 7 days a week including Holidays. Employees must be available to work evenings, weekends and holidays during emergencies or as requested. This is a safety sensitive position and employees holding this position have the responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others. This position is subject to random drug testing.