The purpose of the class is to perform protective service work in supervising inmate crews
performing manual labor in the maintenance of County roads and drainage systems; and to
perform related work as required. This class works according to some procedures but decides
how or when to do things; work is reviewed regularly by supervisor.
All County employees are considered public servants for the citizens of Dorchester County. When requested before, during, or after an emergency event, County employees are expected to work and serve the public in coping with the emergency.
- Participates in cutting weeds and brush from rights-of-way and ditches, installing road signs, performing general grounds keeping duties, removing debris from assigned areas and performing other department functions.
- Gathers tools, equipment and supplies for daily assignments.
- Manually loads/unloads materials onto vehicles.
- Uses hand and power tools in various manual tasks as required.
- Performs routine maintenance and cleaning of assigned tools and equipment.
- Performs all duties in accordance with applicable policies, procedures, laws, regulations, and standards of quality and safety.
- Performs other related job duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or GED desired, but not required.
Requires at least one (1) year of related work experience.
Must possess a valid state driver's license.
- Additional Requirements
Work is performed in a relatively safe, secure and stable work environment.
Dorchester County has the right to revise this job description at any time. This description does not represent in any way a contract of employment.
Position Type and Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position; typical work hours and days are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Some flexibility in hours is allowed, but employees must be available during the “core” work hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. and must work 40 hour each week to maintain fulltime status. Must be available to work holidays and weekends during emergencies. This is a safety sensitive position and employees holding this position have the responsibility for their own safety and the safety of others. This position is subject to random drug testing.