Summary Court Specialist
This position will require processing of court related documents such as arrest warrants, traffic summons, compliance notices, subpoenas, evictions, orders and all applicable material on behalf of the Magistrate.
Normal working hours are Monday through Friday 8:30am until 5:00pm. One-year probationary period for anticipated training followed by cross training of all areas of the magistrate courts judicial system. Support staff incorporated into weekend rotation for clerical support.
Charleston County offers a full complement of benefits including:
- 3% longevity increases on years 1 thru 5, 10 and every 5 years after. Additionally, merit increases begin on year 6 and occur annually (Council approved) based on performance evaluations.
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and family
- Deferred compensation (including 401k and 457 plans)
- Optional life and disability coverage
OPEN UNTIL FILLED – APPLICATION REVIEW BEGINS IMMEDIATELY, 12/31/2023
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain accurate records and dockets of traffic, criminal and civil court proceedings.
- Balance and reconcile monthly bank statements on accounts.
- Provide scheduling of all motion hearings, bench trials, jury trials and pretrial conferences and attend all sessions of court.
- Provide overall administrative support to the Magistrate.
- Answer all internal and external requests regarding dispositions of cases and procedures of the Summary Courts.
- Work well with the public and assists with court filings and applications.
- Communicate and coordinate regularly with others to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of interdepartmental operations and activities.
- Ensure courts compliance with State Law and local ordinances.
- Input all case related data including filings, dispositions, party information and event scheduling into the case management system.
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality and demonstrate discipline.
- Applicant must have the capacity to work well with limited supervision and as part of a team.
- Minimum Qualifications
- Applicants selected must complete a SLED background check.
- Possess a valid SCDL.
- Position requires clerical and courtroom experience.
- Applicant must have a minimum of a high school diploma (or GED), preference given to post high school education.
- Applicant must be proficient with typing skills and keyboarding.
- Applicant must have excellent knowledge in computer application and technology.