Civil Engineer II (Capital Projects)
Charleston County Public Works Department is looking for a highly motivated, qualified individual to join our team! We offer competitive salary, great benefits package, paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave. Working for Charleston County allows you to achieve the work life balance you have been looking for!
This position is part of the Capital Projects Team that oversees and manages the day-to-day operations of the County’s local option Transportation Sales Tax (TST 2006 and 2016) and the Charleston County Transportation Committee (CTC) programs. The principal function of this position is project management of numerous TST Allocation and CTC transportation improvement projects. The budget for these projects typically ranges from $50,000 to $1,000,000 from inception to completion.
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $71,926 to $80,995 (Estimated Annual Salary)
OPEN UNTIL FILLED – APPLICATION REVIEW BEGINS IMMEDIATELY, 12/31/2023
- Duties and Responsibilities
- evaluate annually requested TST and CTC projects from municipalities for feasibility and cost, and assist in making funding recommendations
- review and approve construction plans and specifications prepared by consulting engineers for road, drainage improvement and sidewalk projects
- negotiate consultant design fees and scope of work
- coordinate permit applications with various environmental and regulatory agencies; ensure federal requirements are followed for federally funded projects
- work with utility coordination staff to effect utility relocations as needed
- coordinate in-house or consultant acquisition of construction permissions, easements and right of way from property owners as needed
- manage project budgets, including review of all contract invoices and project expenditures
- develop and approve design changes with consultants; prepare and coordinate change orders with contractors as necessary
- prepare Invitation for Bid (IFB) documents for construction advertisement
- coordinate with construction inspection staff to ensure compliance with applicable specifications
- provide excellent customer service to citizens and stakeholders by effectively communicating and keeping all informed of project status
- evaluate qualifications and/or proposals of consultants for design and/or CE&I services
- and prepare in-house design plans by use of AutoCAD and ArcView GIS as assigned
- Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or Construction Management with 4 years of experience in Project Management is preferred, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work. Licensure as an Engineer in Training with the ability to obtain a Professional Engineering License is preferred; however, candidates with applicable experience and licensure in other fields such as architecture, landscape architecture or certification as a project management professional will be considered. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Valid South Carolina Driver's License is required.