Trades Technician II
Charleston County Public Works Department is looking for highly motivated, safety-minded individuals who enjoy working outdoors to join our team!
Be a part of improving the quality of life for citizens, businesses, and visitors of Charleston County.
We offer a competitive salary, a great benefits package, a four-day workweek (rain or shine), and training and development opportunities for growth and advancement. Working for the County allows you to earn a pension and you will receive paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
HIRING SALARY: $20.61 Per Hour
OPEN UNTIL FILLED – APPLICATION REVIEW BEGINS IMMEDIATELY, 12/31/2023
- Duties and Responsibilities
This is a working crew leader position overseeing and directing the activities of a crew of Construction/Maintenance Workers and Trade Technicians in the maintenance and construction of County properties, drainage, and road right of ways. Primary tasks will include construction, maintenance/repair, and estimating materials for stormwater boxes, culverts, curb and gutter, sidewalks, slabs, and other various concrete and masonry needs. Additional duties to be performed are installation and removal of temporary barricades and traffic control measures for construction projects/detours, assisting with hydro-seeding operations, as well as minor fence repairs and asphalt work. The selected candidate will be required to operate and maintain assigned vehicle and hand and power tools/equipment in a safe and productive manner, ensure compliance to all established safety rules and regulations and train crew; keep immediate supervisor informed regarding work progress; and attend meetings, conferences, training sessions, and workshops as necessary to remain current on practices and new developments in the assigned work area.
- Minimum Qualifications
The position requires a high school diploma (or GED) supplemented with 3 years’ of applicable experience as well as the ability to provide effective leadership, motivation, and supervision to subordinate personnel. Experience with computers and/or tablets is preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High school diploma (or GED)
- Ability to comprehend and execute written and verbal instructions
- Willingness to provide good customer service
- Ability to safely operate hand tools and power equipment using proper PPE
- Assist with preventative maintenance of equipment and vehicles
- Maintain a clean and safe crew area; as well as other related duties as assigned
- Must be safety-minded and be able to work well in a demanding, team-oriented environment
- Ability to lift 55 lbs.
- Reliable transportation to get to work
- Valid SC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within (6) months
- Available to report to work during hazardous weather or emergency conditions