Trades Technician I
Charleston County Public Works Department is looking for highly motivated, safety-minded individuals who enjoy working outdoors to join our team!
Be a part of improving the quality of life for citizens, businesses, and visitors of Charleston County.
We offer a competitive salary, a great benefits package, a four-day workweek (rain or shine), and training and development opportunities for growth and advancement. Working for the County allows you to earn a pension and you will receive paid holidays, vacation, and sick leave.
HIRING HOURLY: $19.45
OPEN UNTIL FILLED – APPLICATION REVIEW BEGINS IMMEDIATELY, 12/31/2023
- Duties and Responsibilities
Duties And Responsibilities: Positions are available on our Road Construction/Maintenance Crew, Drainage Construction Crew, and Grounds Crew. See below for a general description of each.
- Drainage Construction – Primary tasks will include construction and maintenance/repair of stormwater boxes, culverts, curb and gutter, sidewalks, slabs, and other various concrete and masonry needs. Assist with hydro-seeding operations as well as minor fence repairs and pavement marking.
- Road Construction/Maintenance – Primary tasks will include construction and maintenance of roadways, assisting in the operation of the asphalt patch truck, installation of culverts, and fabrication of stormwater structures.
- Grounds – Primary tasks will include operating zero turns and push mowers, weed eaters, chain saws, edgers, trimmers, pruners, blowers, pole saws, and various hand tools to provide grounds maintenance on County properties and/or maintenance of County drainage easements and road rights-of-way. Must obtain an SC Pesticide Application license within 6 months.
- Minimum Qualifications
- High school diploma (or GED)
- Ability to comprehend and execute written and verbal instructions
- Willingness to provide good customer service
- Ability to safely operate hand tools and power equipment using proper PPE
- Assist with preventative maintenance of equipment and vehicles
- Maintain a clean and safe crew area; as well as other related duties as assigned
- Must be safety-minded and be able to work well in a demanding, team-oriented environment
- Ability to lift 55 lbs.
- Reliable transportation to get to work
- Valid SC Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one within (6) months
- Available to report to work during hazardous weather or emergency conditions