Emergency Medical Technician
The motto of Charleston County EMS is “We Care”. We are an EMS system that relies on Innovation, Trust, Compassion, Respect and Dedication to provide empathetic and compassionate customer service and excellent medical care to our community of citizens and visitors. If you have the commitment to help others and want to have a career that makes a difference, now is your opportunity to join one of the finest EMS departments in the nation. Charleston County EMS offers a variety of work schedules that are both static and dynamic. In our normal schedules, forced overtime is not used; although in times of disasters or high public demand, schedules and obligations may change.
Charleston County offers a full complement of benefits including:
- 3% longevity increases after years 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5, with merit increases annually thereafter (Council approved) based on performance evaluations
- Medical and dental benefits for employee and family
- Deferred compensation (including 401k and 457 plans)
- Optional life and disability coverage
The application should be filled out completely and all required certifications and documents should be uploaded/attached to the application. Any questions regarding the application or hiring process can be directed to 843-202-6700.
HIRING HOURLY RANGE: $19.52 - $20.10
AEMT Providers will have an initial hiring of $20.10
OPEN UNTIL FILLED – APPLICATION REVIEW BEGINS IMMEDIATELY, 12/31/2023
- Duties and Responsibilities
Candidates must be able to: drive an emergency vehicle; have excellent communications skills (in person, over the radio/telephone, and written); work varying shift schedules including day shift, night shift, hybrid shifts including weekends and holidays; perform a wide variety of duties with accuracy and speed under pressure; provide patient care to the respective certification level; follow safety protocols and perform in a safe manner; able to understand navigation equipment and tools, including maps, and be able find locations within our response area; perform calmly in emergency situations; and other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Required certifications and licensure: (please attach to your application)
- National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT) EMT or Advanced EMT Certification
- Ability to possess and maintain a South Carolina Emergency Medical Technician Basic or Advanced EMT Certification
- BLS (AHA or ASHI)
- High School Diploma or GED (College degree or transcript may be used)
- ICS course certifications 100, 200, 700 and 800 (Required within 3 months of hire)
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge must include but is not limited to, laws and regulations of US DOT, FCC, DEA and SCDHEC in regard to the practice of emergency medical services, vehicle extrication and rescue principles, patient stabilization, medical terminology, and defensive driving techniques.
EMT’s are responsible for providing patient care to the level of their certification. All employees are responsible for communicating appropriately, ensuring the readiness of vehicles and equipment, maintaining uniforms and stations, attending training, and following safety and medical guidelines.