Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides performance of maintenance throughout the County of the road ways by operating many forms of equipment. This position typically performs maintenance throughout the County on the road systems.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs routine maintenance on the County's rights-of-way which may include operating chainsaws to cut trees and limbs, operating commercial weed eaters and earth compactors, preparing site-mixed concrete and operating County vehicles to include small dump trucks.
- Uses asphalt racks in spreading and leveling hot mix asphalt in patching potholes, paving driveways and resurfacing roadways.
- Unclogs drainage with equipment.
- Cleans debris from roadways.
- Checks for and repairs sinkholes.
- Inspects equipment.
- Builds and maintains retention walls.
- Foams pipes to repair and seal.
- Performs site safety and provides traffic control.
- Assists in disaster response.
- Communicates with the public.
- Removes dead animals to ensure the safety of residents.
- Maintains personal safety equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred; classes will be offered to those interested in pursuing a diploma;
- One (1) year of related experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to use office equipment.
- Ability to use or repair small, medium and heavy equipment and machinery.
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ninety-five (95) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is regularly performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others. Normal working hours are Monday through Wednesday from 6:30am until 4:30pm and Thursday from 6:30am until 4:00pm with the ability to work after hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.