Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides prosecution of criminal cases in Circuit Court, including trial preparation, plea agreements, hearings, court filings and jury trials; prepares necessary reports; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs complex prosecutorial duties.
- Prosecutes non-violent crimes such as traffic offenses, forgery and other financial institution crimes, drug offenses, etc.
- Prosecutes violent crimes such as murder, armed robbery, criminal sexual conduct, etc.
- Provides legal representation for the state at preliminary hearings.
- Handles all phases of trial preparation and case negotiations including interviewing victims and witnesses.
- Performs extensive legal research.
- Examines legal data to determine advisability of defending or prosecuting lawsuit.
- Recommends criminal prosecutions or civil penalties.
- Presents evidence to defend clients or prosecutes defendants in criminal or civil litigation.
- Prepares plea negotiations.
- Conducts roll call and ensures defendants are not incarcerated.
- May prosecute cases in General Sessions Court, Family Court or Magistrate's Court.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- Juris Doctorate degree from an ABA accredited law school;
- South Carolina Bar Admission and Certification;
- One (1) year of litigation or other trial based experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Substantial knowledge of general administrative and/or management policies and procedures.
- Knowledge in leading others within the County guidelines.
- Comprehensive knowledge of personnel management and effective supervisory practices.
- Skilled in communicating effectively with others, both orally and in writing, using technical and nontechnical language to respond to inquiries from employees and/or the public.
- Skilled in the use of general office equipment.
- Able to provide effective leadership, motivation, and supervision to subordinate and related support personnel.
- Able to train, evaluate and coordinate the work of others.
- Able to understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures and instructions.
- Able to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and/or speed, at times, under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines.
- Able and willing to quickly learn and put to use new skills and/or knowledge brought about by rapidly changing information and/or technology.
- Able to serve in confidential work relationship and to handle confidential material with tact and discretion.
- Able to accurately prepare legal documents, correspondence, reports and/or memorandums.
- Able to interpret accounting reports and/or records, and to analyze accounting data for control and/or reporting purposes.
- Able to exercise critical thinking and to correct or propose solutions to existing problems, and to propose better and/or more efficient methods of organizing or performing tasks.
- Able to exercise tact, discretion and sound judgment in addressing sensitive or confidential matters.
- Able to use integrity, ingenuity, and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
This position requires the employee to sit and use hands to handle, feel finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty-five (25) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is regularly performed in a relatively safe, secure and stable work environment. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal operating hours are Monday through Friday 9:00am until 5:00pm with the ability to work flexible hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.