Convenience Center Operator
Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides the cleaning of office and maintenance of convenience center grounds; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and others.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs grass cutting using both push and riding lawnmower, trim weeds and shrubs using both manual and power trimmers, sweep and rake.
- Maintains litter control of buildings as directed.
- Assists in regularly scheduled lubrication and preventive maintenance and minor repair of manual and powered equipment as needed to include powered MSW compactor, mowers and other tools, vehicles and machinery assigned to the site.
- Maintains records and reports for supervisors and works independently.
- Maintains and repairs agricultural facilities, equipment and tools to ensure operational readiness, safety and cleanliness.
- Maintains and cleans equipment, work areas and shelves.
- Follows procedures for the use of chemical cleaners and power equipment in order to prevent injury.
- Assists customers by answering simple questions, locating items or referring them to the right areas.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent preferred; classes will be offered to those interested in pursuing a diploma;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- One (1) year of experience in dealing with the public;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to present a positive cooperative attitude when dealing with the residents of Berkeley County.
- Ability to cooperate with co-workers and contractors as well as surrounding landowners.
- Ability to be a self-starter, motivated and work with limited or no supervision.
- Ability to use or repair small and medium equipment and machinery.
This position requires the employee to reach and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to sixty-five (65) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is regularly performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities and needs. Employees assigned to work at the Landfill are required to work forty (40) hours per week, on a rotating work schedule. Normal working hours are Monday through Saturday 7:00am to 6:00pm and closed on Sundays; some locations are closed on Wednesday. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.