- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides the performance of routine level tasks in a moderately supervised to independent manner; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Serves as a lead custodian in coordinating the daily operation of the custodial staff, primarily in the Berkeley County Administration Building.
- Performs various levels of skilled tasks in the custodial trade.
- Performs inspection of custodial work completed to ensure adequate levels of cleanliness are maintained.
- Oversees and performs routine cleaning tasks including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, disposing of trash, dusting and scrubbing.
- Performs training of subordinate staff members in use of various types of cleaning equipment.
- Maintains an accurate inventory of supplies/equipment.
- May also buff/wax floors, spot clean carpeted areas, polish and clean wood fixtures, disinfect and chemically treat restroom facilities and water fountains and stock and maintain various dispensers including soap, toilet tissue/paper towels and cleaning supplies.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- One (1) year of related custodial experience as a Custodian in a large residential, commercial or industrial environment;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- Security vetting required;
- Knowledge of Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) is preferred.
- Knowledge of computers required to use email and work order system.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to communicate in verbal and written form.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use or repair small and medium equipment and machinery.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach with hands and arms; stand; walk; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use repetitive motion; and talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to fifty (50) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m, or 3:00pm until 11:00pm, depending on assignment. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.