Temporary Kennel Technician
- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides moderate level support which may include ensuring animals are fed and healthy; addressing animal illness; interacting with visitors; and dealing courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Adheres to the highest ethical standards and provisions of animal care in a safe, competent, professional and humane manner at all times.
- All aspects of animal care which includes feeding and cleaning.
- Assist with livestock.
- Assists with animal husbandry and medications.
- Assists with isolation ward and isolation animals.
- Ensures hospitalized patients are receiving care as needed.
- Coordinates with foster staff/intake staff to schedule appointments for rechecks.
- Provides quality service to clients, volunteers and staff recognizing their individual contributions to the success of our organization.
- Maintains and safely operates equipment used in the performance of duties related to the position.
- Maintains daily log of animal care.
- Interacts with the public and addresses questions.
- Works special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- Six (6) months of related experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for South Carolina with a safe driving record.
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Skill in self-guidance requiring minimal supervision.
- Ability to be flexible with schedule changes and short notice overtime requests.
- Ability to be part of an entrepreneurial team that is goal-oriented, collegial and innovative.
- Ability to work as a collaborative team player experienced in working with multiple departments and co-workers.
- Ability to work enthusiastically with the public.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work comfortably with all animals.
- Ability to use office equipment.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach with hands and arms; stand; walk; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools, or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; talk and hear; use mental acuity and repetitive motion. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ninety (90) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Hours will not exceed twenty-nine (29) hours per week. Employees who work at the Animal Shelter are required to work a rotating work schedule. Must be flexible to work anytime during normal operating hours Monday through Friday from 8:00am until 6:00pm; Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 5:00pm. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.