iT Support Technician
- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides performance of the daily operations and functions necessary to maintain computer systems and related data processing equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Loads peripheral equipment with selected materials such as tapes and printer paper for operating runs.
- Observes and troubleshoots equipment operation and error lights in order to detect malfunction.
- Records problems which occur and places service calls.
- Answers telephone calls to assist computer users encountering problems.
- Maintains equipment, software and media inventory records.
- Consults with hardware vendors and employees to solve problems impeding computer processing.
- Performs diversified duties including answering incoming telephone calls, entering information and data into the computer system, drafting, editing and distributing correspondence as well as other related duties as assigned.
- Prepares complex reports, record management and/or retention and general bookkeeping duties which may include use of financial software.
- Troubleshoots existing applications and consults with IT staff for solutions on computers.
- Performs system maintenance functions as directed including windows and office updates and other software updates.
- Educates office personnel in the use of software and utilities.
- Maintains PC workstations.
- Serves as first contact for helpdesk operations.
- Troubleshoots hardware problems on workstations, printers, copiers and cell phones.
- Researches technical issues as well as future products that may beneficial.
- Utilizes existing software to keep an inventory and maintenance agreements and contacts technicians for equipment repairs.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with individual and business customers and provides assistance with problems these customers may encounter.
- Analyzes problems to develop solutions involving computer hardware and software.
- Applies theoretical expertise and innovation to create or apply new technology.
- Oversees the daily performance of computer systems.
- Trains staff and users to work with computer systems and programs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- Associate's degree in a related field;
- Three (3) years of computer experience;
- Or equivalent education, and/or experience.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- A+ certification desired;
- Basic knowledge of standard cabling practices and cabling color codes;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Skill in excel with attention to detail for working with departmental projects.
- Skill in filing, customer service, math, data entry and correct grammar usage.
- Skill in the use of general office equipment.
- Ability to be detail oriented and have excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Ability to efficiently complete tasks by following established guidelines/procedures with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to use computers.
- Ability to repair, develop or install software, hardware and systems.
- Ability to establish policies and create plans for and guide implementation of systems.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to forty (40) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a relatively safe, secure and stable work environment. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal working hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm with the ability to work flexible hours when necessary. Will serve in a departmental on-call rotation for emergencies. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.