- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides the conduction of periodic inspections, operational checks and minor routine preventative maintenance of wastewater collection system pumping stations; assists with the repair, installation and maintenance of centrifugal pumps, electric motors, motor control centers and liquid level control systems associated with wastewater collection and treatment systems; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Enters and exits manholes, pump station wet wells and other confined spaces to perform inspections, maintenance and repairs.
- Operates mechanical measuring instruments such as torque wrenches, tachometers, dial indicators, micrometer, pressure and vacuum gauges, etc.
- Operates electrical measuring instruments and electronic test or calibration equipment.
- Conducts periodic inspections, operational checks and routine preventative maintenance.
- Assists with the repair, installation and maintenance of centrifugal pumps, electric motors, motor control centers and liquid level control systems associated with wastewater collection and treatment systems.
- Installs and maintains PLCs, VFDs, Multismarts and Viper IP radio communication systems.
- Installs conduit, electrical cables and electrical control panels.
- Installs and maintains radio communication antennas.
- Operates equipment such as forklifts, man lifts, bucket trucks, fixed railed cranes, mobile cranes, etc.
- Uses networking software such as VT Scada, Data logger, RS logic, FTP commander, Red-lion crimson, Multi-smart configurator, etc.
- Builds, calibrates, maintains, troubleshoots and repairs electrical instruments or testing equipment.
- Tests and troubleshoots instruments, components and assemblies, using circuit testers, oscilloscopes or voltmeters.
- Diagnoses, troubleshoots and resolves hardware, software or other network and system problems and replaces defective components when necessary.
- Inspects and tests equipment in order to locate damage or worn parts and diagnose malfunctions, or reads work orders or schematic drawings to determine required repairs.
- Completes required paperwork, such as work orders, according to services performed or required.
- Installs new fuses, electrical cables or power sources as required.
- Installs equipment such as amplifiers and repeaters in order to maintain the strength of communications transmissions.
- Installs automatic controls used to regulate pipe systems.
- Installs and maintains electrical control systems and solid-state equipment.
- Installs, adjusts and repairs stationary and mobile radio transmitting and receiving equipment and two-way radio communication systems.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent with Trade or Service School training in an electrical field;
- One (1) year of experience in electrical maintenance and repair field, preferably with water or wastewater collection/treatment systems;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Serves "on-call" status on a rotating basis as well as after hours and weekends on an emergency basis.
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- Knowledge of the construction and operation of wastewater collection and treatment systems.
- Knowledge of basic electrical theory and electrical safety procedures.
- Knowledge of basic trouble shooting procedures.
- Ability to use basic hand tools and electrical diagnostic equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and prepare written reports of activities performed.
- Ability to use basic hand tools and specialized equipment associated with wastewater system maintenance and repair.
- Ability to read and understand electrical, electronic, mechanical equipment operating and maintenance manuals, including schematics, drawings, blueprints and technical data instructions.
- Ability to wear and use a self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Ability to climb vertically 200 feet.
- Ability to climb water towers and other associated structures to perform repairs and routine maintenance as required.
- Ability to understand and comply with all safety regulations.
- Ability to prepare purchase orders and manage inventory and property.
- Ability to use small office equipment, computers and highly technical computer applications.
- Ability to use or repair small, medium and heavy equipment and machinery.
- Ability to repair, develop or install hardware, software and systems.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ninety-five (95) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities and needs. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal working hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m., with the ability to work after hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.