Senior HVAC Technician
- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides the performance of highly complex level skilled craft duties in the HVAC trade on all facilities throughout the County; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs a moderate to complex level of skilled craft duties in the HVAC trade as assigned such as investigating, diagnosing and repairing various heating/air conditioning problems in commercial and residential type buildings according to standard practices.
- Carries out duties including performing general and preventative maintenance on HVAC units, installing and wiring electrical fixtures, changing ballasts, tracing wiring short circuits, installing and running conduit, pull wiring, repairing defective and worn parts and equipment related to both trades.
- Applies information from HVAC system blue prints and circuit schematics in the performance of duties.
- Operates and maintains equipment used in the HVAC trade.
- Uses all proper safety procedures as required by the code of the HVAC trade.
- Assists in other trades as needed.
- Documents work orders.
- Keeps records of maintenance on HVAC systems.
- May supervise other maintenance employees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- Six (6) years of related HVAC experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Universal EPA certification to handle and recover refrigerants required;
- This position requires "on-call" status on a rotating basis as well as after hours and weekends on an emergency basis.
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview.
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Knowledge of computerized HVAC control systems required.
- Ability to comprehend complex electrical blueprints and circuit schematics.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to use small office equipment, computers and highly technical computer applications.
- Ability to use or repair small and heavy equipment and machinery.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach with hands and arms; stand; walk; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift, pull, push and/or move up to ninety-five (95) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday with the ability to work after hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.