- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides monthly water meter cut offs and reconnects for all non-payment customers; maintains work orders associated with the water meters; reports open fixtures, reading meters as needed and verifying addresses; performs monthly rereads; reports customer inactivity and vacant properties; maintains 24 on-call status; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Reports any irregularities with meter, meter boxes or any other problem on equipment or apparatus.
- Prepares work orders as requested/needed.
- Notifies Billing of abnormally high water usage, open fixtures and meters turned back on by customers.
- Performs reconnects and cut offs on water meters for non-payment customers.
- Performs monthly rereads as needed on meters.
- Verifies customer accounts for inactivity.
- Locks or unlocks meters as needed.
- Reads, removes and repairs water meters as needed.
- Performs routine task with small hand tools.
- Performs light maintenance on tools and equipment.
- Performs routine maintenance on meters and meter components.
- Marks and paints meters as needed.
- Repairs leaks associated with meters and meter boxes.
- Prepares map for daily stops and drives to multiple locations.
- Responds to customer inquiries and investigates customer complaints associated with water billing and high usage issues.
- Retrieves payments from all drop box locations on a daily basis.
- Reads and understands the BCWS Environmental Management System policy statement.
- Reports any observed discharges or potential discharges of pollutants (gas, liquid or solids) from any County owned or near any County owned facility to management.
- Complies with any task specific Environment Management System Standard Operating Procedures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- One (1) year of general work experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record.
- Must be able to obtain a valid Class B CDL within six (6) months of employment;
- Must be able to obtain a Class D Water Distribution license within twenty-four (24) months of employment;
- Serves "on-call" status on a rotating basis as well as after hours and weekends on an emergency basis.
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Skill in using personal computers including Word and Excel.
- Skill in excellent communication, both oral and written.
- Skill in the use of hand tools, materials and equipment used in the performance of the job function.
- Ability to efficiently complete tasks by following established guidelines/procedures with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to compose and prepare reports, records and correspondence.
- Ability to greet public and explain various requirements and procedures.
- Ability to work in all types of weather environments.
- Ability to deal with the public to include handling potential difficult customers.
- Ability to use or repair small and medium equipment and machinery.
- Ability to collect payments.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; and use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ninety-five (95) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal working hours are Monday through Thursday from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. with the ability to work after hours when necessary. This position is subject to 24-hour on call. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.