- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides the maintenance of all County vehicles and equipment; repairs and diagnoses mechanical and electrical repairs; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees and citizens.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Performs a complex level of skilled craft duties in the area of automotive mechanical repair.
- Performs preventative maintenance and repairs on automobiles, emergency vehicles, dump trucks, light construction equipment and various agricultural equipment.
- Uses state of the art test equipment to diagnose and repair gasoline/diesel engines as well as electrical and hydraulic systems.
- Coordinates and performs tire repairs, balancing and replacement on a variety of county vehicles and equipment to include emergency vehicles, heavy construction equipment, commercial tractor and trailers, heavy dump trucks and agricultural equipment.
- Performs replacement of parts such as starters, brake systems, brake pads, water pumps, etc.
- Removes, repairs and replaces major components as necessary.
- Analyzes test readings, computer printouts, and trouble reports to determine equipment repair needs and required repair methods.
- Rebuilds, repairs and tests automotive fuel injection units.
- May perform roadside maintenance and service on all vehicles.
- Checks gas and oil levels in all storage tanks.
- Completes maintenance and repair worksheets.
- Prepares requests and orders for parts.
- Wash and clean vehicles as requested.
- May ensure adherence to safe working practices and procedures.
- May provide training, guidance and assistance to lower level technicians.
- Works on generator engines throughout the County.
- May assist with maintaining material and tool inventory.
- Maintains cleanliness of common areas and workspaces.
- May coordinate daily work schedules for all technicians.
- May lead, oversee and participate in the more complex tasks of technicians.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Six (6) months of related automotive experience;
- Two (2) years of related automotive experience;
- Five (5) years of related automotive experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid Commercial Driver’s License Class A for South Carolina required with preferred HAZMAT endorsement and a safe driving record;
- ASE Certifications preferred;
- Serves "on-call" status on a rotating basis for after hours, weekends and holidays as scheduled;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file;
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of working in a dealership setting.
- Knowledge of working in a large vehicle dealership setting.
- Knowledge of common maintenance shop safety practices.
- Ability to perform roadside maintenance and service on all vehicles.
- Ability to operate electronic and diagnostic software and equipment from various manufacturers highly preferred.
- Ability to read and write.
- Ability to use or repair small, medium and heavy equipment and machinery.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ninety-five (95) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in an environment with heavy equipment and machinery that could result in bodily harm to co-workers or others. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal work hours are Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. with the ability to work after hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days and location subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.
Something looks off?