- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides technical and logistical support to maintenance personnel; coordinates with vendors, contractors and the purchasing department to produce materials and services needed to operate and maintain BCWS facilities and equipment; inspects contract maintenance and new construction work as well as the supervision and coordination of maintenance and repair work on plant and pump station facilities; ensures the repair, maintenance and calibration of wastewater treatment plant and pump station instrumentation and control systems and training maintenance personnel to perform these tasks; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists the Deputy Director in day to day operations of the Pump and Plant department.
- Prepares and manages the departmental annual budget.
- Manages and supervises the technical review of maintenance tasks, special maintenance projects and system alteration/upgrade projects.
- Plans, assigns and supervises the work of subordinates in accordance with project plans and specifications.
- Inspects facilities under construction work, new equipment installations and contracted maintenance work for conformance to contract specifications and local electrical/mechanical construction codes.
- Conducts routine inspections of facilities and equipment to identify the need for maintenance or repairs.
- Coordinates the maintenance and repair work on plant and pump station facilities.
- Enters and exits manholes, pump station wet wells and other confined spaces to perform inspections, maintenance and minor repairs.
- Inspects work while in progress and upon completion to ensure that it is performed in accordance with standards and specifications.
- Maintains time records and prepares progress reports, training and developmental programs.
- Performs budget administration and purchasing.
- Prepares correspondence, reports of inspections or investigations and recommendations for action.
- Performs the research and development of new methods, products and services
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- Ten (10) years of experience in Electrical/Electronics;
- Or equivalent education, and/or experience.
- Must be certified as a Master Electrician;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical construction practices, code requirements, and safety standards.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater treatment machinery and equipment.
- Ability to read and comprehend facility and equipment operation and maintenance (O&M) manuals, electrical, electronic and mechanical equipment drawings, schematics, blueprints and other related technical documentation.
- Ability to wear and use a self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Ability to climb vertically 200 feet.
- Ability to climb vertically 200 feet, including BCWS water towers and other associated structures to perform repairs and routine maintenance as required.
- Ability to prepare purchase orders and manage inventory and property.
- Ability to manage the budget.
- Ability to use small office equipment, computers and highly technical computer applications.
- Ability to use or repair small, medium and heavy equipment and machinery.
- Ability to repair, develop or install hardware, software and systems.
- Ability to supervise employees and create and guide plans.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to forty (40) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities and needs. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal working hours are between Monday through Thursday from 7:00am until 5:00pm with the ability to work after hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.
Something looks off?