- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides security and safety within the County; under close supervision, performs general police work in the protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances in accordance with Sheriff's Office/County policies and state/federal statutes and regulations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Patrols assigned district and aids the public.
- Enforce traffic regulations for motor vehicles and pedestrians.
- Researches laws, regulations, policies and decisions to prepare for hearings.
- Directs and controls traffic flow. Investigates and writes crime reports.
- Prevents the commission of unlawful acts; apprehends criminals; serves warrants, subpoenas and other writs.
- Accompanies prisoners to court and maintains custody of such prisoners.
- Testify in court proceedings. May transport prisoners to other facilities, etc.
- Physically controls violent suspects/offenders.
- Engage in foot and/or vehicle pursuit to apprehend suspects.
- Inspect doors and windows in business districts to ensure that no suspicious conditions exist.
- Performs routine service duties, protection of persons and/or property, assisting stranded motorists, providing funeral escorts etc.
- Administer first-aid in emergency situations.
- Maintains required level of proficiency in the use of firearms and ensures that weapons are in a functional and presentable condition.
- Assists with funeral escorts and security for special events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- One (1) year of related experience;
- S.C. Criminal Justice Academy LE-1 certification;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver's license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- This position is considered emergency essential and will be required to report to work during any declared emergency situation.
- Knowledge of using personal computers.
- Ability to maintain required level of proficiency in the use of firearms.
- Ability to act quickly and efficiently in an emergency situation.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to use hands to utilize monitoring Security Equipment.
- Ability to observe the conduct and behavior or each individual entering the courthouse.
- Ability to restrain prisoners and run in order to apprehend a person.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to sit and stand; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, finger, grasp objects such as weapons, handcuffs, etc.; reach, pull and push with hands and arms; balance, climb, crawl, crouch, kneel and bend; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must lift and carry up to seventy-five (75) pounds and move one hundred fifty (150) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities and needs. Twelve (12) hour work schedule on assigned shift. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.