- Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides conduction of periodic inspections, operational checks and minor routine preventative maintenance of the wastewater collection system, including but not limited to pumping stations and treatment facilities; and deals courteously and effectively with fellow employees.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assists with the repair, installation and maintenance of centrifugal pumps, piping, valves, blowers, aerators, grit collection and other equipment related to the operation of wastewater collection and treatment systems.
- Operates crane trucks, overhead cranes for pump removal and installation, generators during power failures, assist in vactor truck operations, mechanical measuring instruments such as torque wrenches, tachometers, dial indicators, micrometer, pressure and vacuum gauges, etc.
- Operates pump stations to include cleaning equipment, ensuring proper operation.
- Performs lockout tag out operations.
- Performs after hours duty, including emergency response and troubleshooting, within 6 months of employment.
- Enters and exits manholes, pump station wet wells and other confined spaces to perform inspections, maintenance and repairs.
- Performs drawdown testing.
- Properly document all maintenance actions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements to Perform Work
- High School diploma or equivalent;
- One (1) year of related maintenance experience;
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license for South Carolina with safe driving record;
- Must be able to obtain a Class D Wastewater License within one year of date of hire;
- Departmental testing may be administered during interview;
- A criminal background check will be completed on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
- This is a safety sensitive position and is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
- Knowledge of the construction and operation of centrifugal pumps, valves and associated mechanical equipment.
- Ability to perform after hour duties, including emergency response and troubleshooting.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions and prepare written reports of activities performed.
- Ability to use basic hand tools and specialized equipment associated with pump and piping system maintenance and repair.
- Ability to read and write, and to understand mechanical equipment operations and maintenance manuals, including schematics, drawings, blueprints and technical data instructions.
- Ability to wear and use a self-contained breathing apparatus.
- Ability to use small office equipment, computers and highly technical computer applications.
- Ability to use or repair small, medium and heavy equipment and machinery.
- Physical Demands
This position requires the employee to reach, pull and push with hands and arms; stand; use hands to handle, feel, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; use mental acuity and repetitive motion; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ninety-five (95) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work Conditions
The work is regularly performed in a dynamic environment that requires sensitivity to change and responsiveness to changing goals, priorities and needs. Thirty-seven and one half (37.5) hours per week. Normal working hours are between Monday through Thursday from 7:00am until 5:00pm with the ability to work after hours when necessary. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein is subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.